We have now released new information for sophisticated investors considering an investment in MediKane.
You can confirm your interest as a sophisticated investor by clicking the button below – you will be granted immediate access to the update…
This Company News Update covers: the USA Market; Hospital Sales; Patents; our new Global Structure and; Distribution Outside Australia and the USA.
MediKane has now registered a subsidiary in the USA. Its sole purpose is to grow sales in MediKane’s largest potential market.
Diabetes is a major problem in most developing countries and the largest populations of people living with diabetes are in India, China and the USA. The USA is the biggest opportunity although both India and China have larger diabetic populations. because the communication network and the physical distribution network in the US is significantly more effective than in either India or China. In the USA there are 5.2 million people currently living with diabetes, taking oral drugs and actively looking for safe, natural alternatives to pharmaceutical products.
The situation related to selling the hospital product is the same, in terms of infrastructure. In addition, the US population is more affluent in general and better able to afford to purchase MediKane products.
Hence the establishment of MediKane USA LLC.
MediKane was also fortunate in being able to employ an ex-Diabetes Australia executive, who has an extensive US and global network into the “diabetes world” and is also a US citizen.
The market plan for the US has been developed at a high level and is currently being detailed. In principle, MediKane will release both the diabetes and hospital product in the north east (Tri-state area) of the United States immediately. MediKane USA will manage a local sales force for the small (geographic) market area. Note this “small geographic area” has many times the population of Australia.
MediKane USA will also appoint distributors for this market and ultimately for the West Coast market which has recently been assessed.
The recent assessment revealed that:
- There is a definite opportunity for an effective and proven natural diabetes product
- No product that performs like NutriKane D was observed in the USA, even with an extensive review
- There is a sea of competitors – they make claims but no significant substance or clinical evidence
- Price points are high enough to provide MediKane with a high Gross Profit
- NutriKane will have a significant price / margin advantage in the key weight management category
- Communicating to consumers is very different to Australia
- All US products must have a great taste and mouthfeel
For this reason, over 45% of MediKane’s profits will be sourced from the US market, and hence the focus.
In April 2017, the first sales of NutriKane+ have been made to both a New South Wales hospital and an East coast distributor. This is a major break-through as the “sales cycle” for hospital products is typically 18 to 30 months.
Several hospital sales people have now been engaged in Australia and this is being repeated in the USA — New York area initially.
MediKane’s IP strategy is to keep technical developments confidential until a decision to patent is made. This is normal practice. MediKane is and will patent technologies and breakthroughs that will provide high returns to the business. To date, MediKane and our patent attorneys have achieved quite remarkable patent claims, particularly as the key raw materials have been used in industry and studied for many decades, in one case, used commercially for over 2,000 years. In spite of this MediKane was able to demonstrate “novelty” in application of these common raw materials.
MediKane took considerable advice, mostly from PwC about the corporate structure.The overall structure is now as shown in the adjacent diagram.
This structure provides flexibility in the future if a global company makes an offer to either purchase MediKane Holdings, or just the IP or indeed licence the IP.
MediKane USA LLC was also subject to considerable advice from both PwC and US tax and corporate lawyers. It has been structured to allow maximum flexibility for US investors and to minimise total tax. As we are trading in both Australia and the USA this must be managed carefully as both countries laws must be met and used to avoid “double dipping” as much as possible.
Distribution outside Australia and the USA
Many enquiries and requests are being received from distributors and potential customers in many countries. MediKane is not in a hurry to sell outside Australia and the USA as we are not properly resourced to manage these various regions. However it is difficult to ignore any request for a sale!
We have products being commercially used and trialled in:
Turkey; Ghana; New Zealand; South Africa; Sri Lanka; India; China; Singapore and; Thailand.
MediKane policy is that when a local agent is identified who can manage 95% of the activities required to launch in a foreign country, it will be formally evaluated and possibly approved. MediKane is not searching for suitable agents, but evaluating proposals that are received. This is a good position to be in and will serve the business well in the future, when resources are expanded. It does the demonstrate considerable demand for MediKane products and also the fact that NutriKane’s efficacy is extremely rare in the natural medicinal product area. ie we have very few genuine competitors.
An independent clinical trial has shown NutriKane effectively manages Blood Sugar Levels for people living with Diabetes.
This result is not only extremely significant for the business, but also for the community at large. The trial, which was conducted by Professor Fary Khan and a medical team at the Royal Melbourne Hospital has shown that NutriKane can play a major role in the management of diabetes. Previous studies have also shown that unlike drugs, NutriKane has the advantages:
- It cannot be overdosed.
- It has no adverse side effects.
- People using NutriKane have been able to effectively manage their diabetes without the need to increase medication.
Two earlier clinical trials on bowel health and control of constipation produced excellent results that were published in international Medical journals. The results from this Diabetes trial will also be published, around June this year.
This evidence of the effectiveness of NutriKane for the management of diabetes is a significant milestone for the group and will greatly assist the sales in Australia and the USA.
There were a few observations that affect MediKane directly, including the fact that being from a US business (MediKane USA LLC, Wall Street, NY) gave us much more acceptance than being a foreigner.
Other ‘Take-aways’ were:
- The requirement for a product to be natural is mainstream and continuing to grow strongly
- US consumers have a very high appetite for new natural products
- A Diabetes Treatment that works would stand out:
- There were NO products that can compete with NutriKane D’s effectiveness at the show
- There were loose claims of ‘Blood Sugar Friendly’ but none of substance.
- The opportunity for a natural and effective diabetes product in the USA is massive.
- Clinical Trials were referenced, but not much evidence, meaning:
- US consumers know they are important.
- VERY few products in our categories have the evidence or clinical trials NutriKane has.
- There is also a definite opportunity for a Weight Management product.
- All US products must have great taste and mouth-feel, and be sweeter than Australian products.
Next Steps for the MediKane team:
- Today we have the Hospital Product (NutriKane+) for sale in the USA
- It is planned to launch a US Diabetes Product (NutriKane D) later this year
- The opportunity for a “lifestyle – weight management” product is being actively pursued
MediKane has now established the USA subsidiary and it operates from New York.
1 Wall St Court, Suite 1409
New York NY 10005. USA
Ph: +1 (917) 657-3332
The business is licenced to sell MediKane products in the USA and Canada, with the first products to market, being the current Australian hospital product NutriKane+, and a diabetes product based on US consumer buying expectations.
On September 28, 2015 Dr Andrew Rockford’s report entitled “How sugarcane could help to treat diabetes sufferers” was broadcast on Channel 7 National News. The response has been an immediate rise in the awareness of the potential benefits of NutriKane D in Australia. You can watch the full report on the Channel 7 website.