Basis of MediKane’s Technical Innovation and Effectiveness
The medical benefits of the NutriKane product range have now been extensively trialled both scientifically and medically. This demonstrates NutriKane’s effectiveness in lowering blood sugar levels and improving intestinal health.
The products have proven benefits for situations and conditions including:
- Diabetes and other metabolic disorder management
- Reduced constipation post-operatively caused by the use of opioid analgesic pain-killers OIC (Opioid Induced Constipation)
- Weight Management
- Improved intestinal health and relief from symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Products are under development for a range of other conditions that are global health problems. The products all comply with current consumer requirements of:
- Minimally processed
- Gluten Free
- Safe – no adverse side effects
- Cannot be overdosed
- Safe for both children and the elderly
The blood sugar benefits were discovered when elderly people were using it to improve bowel function and regularity. Their GPs noted that those people using the product had experienced a marked improvement in both control of Blood Sugar Level (BSL) fluctuations and a reduction in HbA1c.
In addition, it was noted in a Glycaemic Index (GI) trial that when the ingredient was added to a meal it reduced the GI of a test meal to a significantly greater level than could be explained by high fibre supplements.
The MediKane team then expanded these trials and investigated the underlying mechanism of the product to further refine dose-response curves and improve specific outcomes.
The team has partnered with 2 leading Universities, Royal North Shore Hospital, Melbourne University, Monash University, the Queensland University of Technology, a hospital in Chicago USA as well as several independent practitioners to fully establish the benefits of the NutriKane Product range. Details of some of these collaborations are described below.
The underlying mechanisms of the ingredients were analysed in conjunction with researchers at Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia. This work was partially funded by the Australian government under an Australian Research Council (ARC) grant.
This project which comprises 3 PhD theses and several scientific publications, found that NutriKane:
- Contains high levels of organic and bioavailable micronutrients such as chromium. These nutrients are in a form that can be readily absorbed and used for BSL and metabolism control (unlike artificial supplements)
- High levels of anti-oxidants from a number of different classes
- Clear evidence that NutriKane is a multi-level and effective Pre-biotic
- Feeding the bacteria shown to be beneficial to human health
- Impeding the growth of bacteria shown to be harmful to human health
- Promoting the production of Short Chain Fatty Acids (SCFA)
- NutriKane has direct and indirect anti-inflammatory action (through the gut microbiota).
- Animal models (mice diabetes model) have shown a protective effect (reduces the incidence and severity of a high fat diet on blood glucose control); an improvement in gut wall health (linked conditions such as IBS and IBD) and a more diverse microbiome with lower levels of pro-inflammatory bacteria.to many
This data has been submitted for publication in several peer reviewed journals and some has been published and some held for IP Security purposes.
A separate Weight Control Study was also conducted demonstrating significant weight loss for individuals on NutriKane:
- A dietitian led Weight Loss study was performed that analysed the benefits when used within a standard weight loss regimen. One hundred (100) individuals were enrolled in an 8-week high-level weight loss program that included moderate to high levels of exercise and diet control. Half the group were also given the product as part of their supplementation program but were blinded as to its significance. The study found that the test group lost almost twice as much weight as the control group over the 8 weeks (5.74kg in the control group compared to 10.19kg in the test group). The results showed equally benefits to men and women. Participants also found it easier to maintain the diet control portion of the program. While not specifically tested, it was noted that those people living with diabetes in the trial observed better BSL control during the 8 weeks and had reduced HbA1c at their next check-up.
- MediKane expanded on the initial Glycaemic Index trial to confirm that the GI lowering effects of the products extended to solid meals, juices, protein drinks and mixed meals. The benefit was observed when NutriKane was included in the meal preparation, baked into bread and cakes or simply consumed in water with the meal. The average GI reduction was 19 points with a range of 15–36. The standard range of the GI scale is 0 – 100, so the result is very significant.
- Separately, several practitioner led case studies have observed greatly improved blood glucose management in people living with diabetes, both in the reduction of high and low blood glucose finger prick readings and a general reduction in HbA1c levels. These reductions have also resulted in a concurrent reduction of the need for medication in some cases eliminating the need for exogenous insulin or oral medications entirely. This trial was commenced four years before product launch without any apparent habituation. Additionally, individuals have found weight management to be subjectively easier when taking NutriKane. The ongoing follow-up from customers and feedback anecdotally supports these controlled studies in a large number of subjects (100+).
- Practitioner led case studies have found several benefits to ongoing intestinal health including the reduction in gastric reflux, reduction in IBS and IBD symptoms, general feelings of wellbeing etc. At this stage, these have not been formally trialled?
- Animal trials demonstrated that NutriKane provided significant benefits to subjects with Type 1 diabetes. Further work is being done.
These results are consistent with customer feedback from people living with T1D, who experienced improved control and a reduction of hypoglycaemic events. These trials also noted that trial subjects using NutriKane lost weight compared to the control group.
It is noted that these results from people are anecdotal although very consistent from the consumers involved.
- Royal North Shore hospital is running a trial on the effect of NutriKane D on Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) in patients with diabetes as there is good evidence from the Macquarie university work that it will provide benefits in this area. This will open a new market for MediKane.
- Royal North Shore Hospital will also run a trial on the benefits of NutriKane D to gestational diabetes.
All case studies, published and unpublished data has been collected in an evidence pack for assessment.
- Peer review papers referring to the underlying science
- All internal trials and scientific observations
- Tabulated results
The evidence pack is not published but can be viewed by interested parties.
- The work of MediKane researchers with Macquarie University has led to a deeper understanding of the underlying mechanisms of metabolic health and how to treat metabolic disorders with medical foods. An understanding of the difference between “healthy” foods and foods that can be used to treat specific conditions has been able to be applied to several other ingredients and conditions. This has resulted in a library of ingredients that can be used to build on the basic benefits of the core ingredients found in NutriKane.
- The process of preparing the foods is not an obvious one. Others have attempted to prepare the core ingredients but the results showed no better effect than normal “fibre supplements”. The key requirements to prepare a food with active micronutrients has been kept as a trade secret and will be used for the creation of future products.