Basis of MediKane’s Innovation and Effectiveness
The medical benefits of the NutriKane product range have now been extensively trialled both scientifically and medically. This demonstrates NutriKane’s effectiveness in:
- Improving control of blood sugar levels
- Lowering blood sugar levels in most affected people
- Reducing systemic inflammation
- Improving intestinal health
- Feeding and nurturing the microbiome (broad spectrum pre-biotic)
The products have proven benefits for situations and conditions including:
- Diabetes and other metabolic disorder management
- Reduced constipation post-operatively caused by the use of opioid analgesic pain-killers OIC (Opioid Induced Constipation)
NutriKane products are under development for other conditions that are global health problems. The products all comply with current consumer requirements of:
- Minimally processed
- Gluten Free
- Safe – no adverse side effects
- Cannot be overdosed
- Safe for both children and the elderly
- All supported with evidence of effectiveness
The blood sugar benefits were discovered when elderly people were using it to improve bowel function and regularity. Their GPs noted that those people using the product had experienced a marked improvement in both control of Blood Sugar Level (BSL) fluctuations and a reduction in HbA1c.
In addition, it was noted in a Glycaemic Index (GI) trial that when the ingredient was added to a meal it reduced the GI of a test meal to a significantly greater level than could be explained by high fibre supplements.
The MediKane team then expanded these trials and investigated the underlying mechanism of the product to further refine dose-response curves and improve specific outcomes.
The team has partnered with 2 leading Universities, Royal North Shore Hospital, Melbourne University, Monash University, the Queensland University of Technology, a hospital in Chicago USA as well as several independent practitioners to fully establish the benefits of the NutriKane Product range. Details of some of these collaborations are described below.
The underlying mechanisms of the ingredients were analysed in conjunction with researchers at Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia. This work was partially funded by the Australian government under an Australian Research Council (ARC) grant.
- Animal trials demonstrated that NutriKane provided significant benefits to subjects with Type 1 diabetes. Further work is being done.
These results are consistent with customer feedback from people living with T1D, who experienced improved control and a reduction of hypoglycaemic events. These trials also noted that trial subjects using NutriKane lost weight compared to the control group.
It is noted that these results from people are anecdotal although very consistent from the consumers involved.
- Royal North Shore Hospital will also run a trial on the benefits of NutriKane D to gestational diabetes.
- The work of MediKane researchers with Macquarie University has led to a deeper understanding of the underlying mechanisms of metabolic health and how to treat metabolic disorders with medical foods. An understanding of the difference between “healthy” foods and foods that can be used to treat specific conditions has been able to be applied to several other ingredients and conditions. This has resulted in a library of ingredients that can be used to build on the basic benefits of the core ingredients found in NutriKane.
- The process of preparing the foods is not an obvious one. Others have attempted to prepare the core ingredients but the results showed no better effect than normal “fibre supplements”. The key requirements to prepare a food with active micronutrients has been kept as a trade secret and will be used for the creation of future products.